Will RFID enable companies to keep track of what consumers buy?
There are very few items with RFID tags in them today, so it is not clear exactly what information companies will collect. But it's likely that any information companies collect using RFID will be similar to what they glean today when consumers buy items using a credit card or a loyalty card. It's envisioned that the packaging of products will have an RFID tag that contains an Electronic Product Code-a unique serial number that identifies the manufacturer, product type and a series of numbers that identifies that unique item. Companies will use this number to track products through the supply chain. It's important to be able to tell one carton of milk from another in the supply chain because they have different expiry dates. But there is little benefit to knowing which specific items customers by. Companies want to know the types of items people buy, so they can sell those customers other items that match their taste. Companies can already get this information from barcodes.
Related Industry Knowledge
- What makes such a respected retailer RFID?
- What are the basic working principle ?
- What are the basic components of RFID?
- What is RFID Technology ?
- What is RFID ?
- Our service
- How to make UHF wristband to be 5m read distance
- RFID casino management
- RFID Healthcare Management
- How to Use RFID to Manage yard Workflow?
- What is the difference between low-, high-, and...
- In what ways are companies using RFID today?
- Is RFID better than using bar codes?
- What is the EPCIS standard?
- How can RFID improve worker safety?
- Are there any standards for RFID?
- How can RFID improve promotional and marketing ...
- What have the initial benefits of RFID technolo...
- What has prevented RFID from taking off until now?
- What information is stored on RFID tags?